SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing spiral balances on an Alcoa vinyl window

A handy person from Upstate New York says:
I have an Alcoa vinyl window that needs the spiral balances replaced. The internal spiral rod measures 27.75" long, the diameter of the spring is 7/16", the lenth of the spring is 14.75", the lenth of the rod (including the spring portion) is 26.25", the rubber piece on the end is blue, and one end of the rod has two holes in it.

1. What is the product code of the spiral balances that I should buy?

2. I also need pivot shoes for the window. Is there a standard size that fits the spiral balance that I described? If so, what is the product code for it?

3. Do you suggest that I purchase a spiral balance charging tool, if yes, which one?

4. Also, how do I remove the old pivot shoes from the window?

5. Do the new spiral balaces come with screws to attach them to the top inside of the window channel?

Thank you.

P.S. The spiral balance looks like the one shown in the pictures attached.
User submitted photo of their Alcoa window balances.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Good Afternoon,

There is not a generic replacement pivot lock shoe. We need to see pictures of your existing pivot lock shoe to determine which replacement shoe you need. Please remove one of your existing pivot shoes from the window and take a few pictures of it to submit here. Here is a discussion that describes the process of how to remove the pivot lock shoe from the window.
A handy person from Upstate New York says:
A week ago I asked a series of questions, but most of those questions were Not answered. Can you please answer the following questions that I asked earlier, they are as follows (please refer to the pictures listed above, and answer only the questions listed below). Thank you.

I have an Alcoa vinyl window that needs the spiral balances replaced. The internal spiral rod measures 27.75" long, the diameter of the spring is 7/16", the lenth of the spring is 14.75", the lenth of the rod (including the spring portion) is 26.25", the rubber piece on the end is blue, and one end of the rod has two holes in it.

1. What is the product code of the spiral balances that I should buy?

2. Do you suggest that I purchase a spiral balance charging tool, if yes, which one?

3. Do the new spiral balances come with screws to attach them to the top inside of the window channel, if not can I purchase them from you (what is the product code)?

If it helps any, the pivot lock shoe that goes with my windows is: Product code 15-173

Thank you.

P.S. The spiral balance looks like the one shown in the pictures of my previous inquiry above.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
  1. It appears you have a Series 600 Spiral Balance. What is the length of the tube portion of your balance, excluding the tips? We will need this information before we can recommend a product number.
  2. We recommend the 75-006 Spiral Balance Charging Tool.
  3. Take a look at the 33-016 #8 x 1" SS Installation Screw.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)