Replacing the balances on my windows

A home owner from Chicago says:
Hi there, I live in a mid-rise in Chicago. I've got four windows, and need to replace the channel balances on all of them.

The two smaller windows appear to be a 16" Series 390, and are stamped with "P 15s22" ..

The two larger windows are 39" Series 390, stamped with "38DS BSI VK 50L"

I've no idea what strength to get for either of these, and understand that the 39" channels would require some sort of special order.

Thanks for your help!

Mike
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting! You are right, the 39" balance will have to be custom made. Before we can begin with that though, can you please give me the sash weights for both of the windows? That will help us determine the appropriate stamp options.
A handy person from Chicago says:
Hi there,
Sorry for taking so long to reply!

The large windows weigh between 64 and 65 pounds, each.

The small windows weight ~22.5 pounds, each.

Thanks!
Mike
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hi Mike,
Thank you for getting back to us with the needed information.
I will email you custom balance ordering links shortly.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter! We have everything we need to move on with this order, but I just had one last question that I'd like you to help me clear up. Now, your original stamp reads "38DS BSI VK 50L." During our research of this balance, we discovered that those last three digits actually indicate a sash weight of 50 pounds, while your sashes weigh 64 to 65 pounds. Can you confirm their weight for me? If they are, indeed, still 64 to 65 pounds, how did these balances operate in that sash in the past? Were they ever hard to open? Were the the balances that the window came with, or were they replaced by someone else in the past?
A quick learner says:
It's funny you should ask because the windows were very difficult to operate. I paid someone to replace the counterweights a few years ago, and he definitely did not weigh the sashes. They were OK, but not great, for a couple months before they got bad again. Don't ask me why I've taken so long to get them fixed, again!

I'm 100% certain of the weights that I gave you. It doesn't surprise me at all that there would be a discrepancy. I really appreciate your thoroughness!

Mike
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Very well then, 65 pound strength per pair of balances it is. Thank you for responding so quickly!
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.