Retainer Strip - Wright Storm Door

A quick learner from Chicago, IL says:
My storm door was manufactured by Wright Products, now out of business. The retaining strips are old and brittle, and I'm missing large sections of them.

I'm looking for ANY replacement (Strip, Clip, etc) that will work with my existing door. Strip replacement would be ideal, but I'd drill/install clips if I had to.

Door frame has a (roughly) 1/4" wide channel about 3/8" deep all around the center section holding either the glass or alternatively the screen. When inserted, the glass/screen is basically flush with the retaining channel. See pictures.

I don't need an exact match for what I have (although that would be great). I just need something that will fit so I don't have to purchase a new storm door.

Your help, appreciated.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Can you show us a picture of this seal from an angle that displays its end profile? Can you also tell us the size of its end profile shape? That would be a huge help, thank you!
Here is a picture of the side profile, somehow left off my original post. I'm looking for either a Retainer Strip (preferred) or Retainer Clip. Both seem to be odd size, hard to locate suitable replacements.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the additional information! We suggest using our 70-180 storm door clip and drilling a hole for the 33-020 screw. I'll tell you why I'm recommending this different kind of setup. In the last twenty five years, storm door companies have found that designing plastic retainer strips instead of using the old fashion storm door clips and screw is less expensive. The problem is every different door company and even the same company changes the retainer strip almost every year and it is next to impossible to stock them. That said, we find that using clips and screws like I suggested work just as well, and are actually even easier to install. See what you think.
Thanks for the reply! That may be the best solution for me, thanks.

As a follow up, the glass/screen insert in my door is roughly 30"w x 74"h. How many clips should I install? My initial thought is 8 (two each top/bottom, two each left/ right). But not sure that is what is recommended, especially with a heavy piece of glass.

Also, what size hole should I drill for the screw? The screw is (I think #8) so a 1/8" hole?

Your recommendations, appreciated.

Thanks again.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

The 70-180would need to be secured on the face of the door with a 33-020 screw. The end leg of the clip has a 1/2" reach and should press up against the screen or glass panel in the door holding it in place. I would suggest installing four or five on each side and maybe two at the top.

A quick learner from North Hollywood ca. says:
Where can I get this door seal..?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, that looks to be a match for our 58-181. Look it over and see if you agree. 

All orders can be placed on our site at your convenience. 

Profile view of 58-181
Profile view of 58-181

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.