SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Retrofitting screen slider to hanging track

A quick learner from California says:
High traffic standard slider in the country is always clogged on the bottom track. I want to retro the top to hang on rollers and rely less on the bottom rollers. How do it I do thus ?
User submitted a photo of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I don't think you will be able to retrofit this door that easily. From your photos, I can see that you have an adjustable screen door, a type that is often available from home centers. I would suggest contacting a professional in your area that specializes in custom made patio screen doors. I believe if you were to get a custom size door to fit the opening you should have little trouble in getting it to operate properly. Also check with a local glass shop or hardware store in your area that can make a custom size patio screen door.
A professional from CA says:
That screen is not a good one. See about getting a screen made for the door. A good quality door should not have trouble in that opening. Try to stay away from roll-form screens. Especially the one-size-fits-all variety. Extruded frames made to fit are much better.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)