SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Reynolds window sash pivot bar

A professional from Charleston. SC says:
I have a client with several very old Reynolds windows - double hung with spiral balances. The top sash is sagging because the "pivot pins" on the bottom of the sash have rusted away and parted from the shoe (clutch) of the balance. Is it possible to replace these pivot pins? If so, please advise how to order. I have phoned Reynoldswindowanddoor.com in Montana to be told that the manufacturer is no longer in business and they are simply dealers. Your advise would be much appreciated. With thanks.
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you can replace just the pivot pins. The only question is what pivot pins you should use. Without having the originals on hand, it will be hard to find the best match.

The biggest clue is the pivot shoe itself. It looks like our 15-118. Carefully look it over and see if I'm right. That means the pivot bar might be our 26-040. You will also need to confirm its dimensions line up with what you're working with. Let me know what you think.
A professional from Charleston SC says:
Thank you Paul. This is going in the right direction and I will go measure up all components, get to a solution and follow up with an order.
Robb
Profile picture of Paul
Happy to help! Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to assist.
A professional from Charleston SC says:
Hi Paul. I have established that shoe #15-118 will be correct and I will order accordingly. Refer pic #2 for a pivot bar I was able to remove from the RHS of top sash. Your #26-040 does not seem to be suitable and I cannot find on your website one with correct dimensions. I may be able to make #26-083 work. Any ideas? Other pics are for your interest.

Thank you once again for your prompt and expert response.

Cheers, Robb.
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Yes, I think the 26-083 pivot bar would be a good choice. You could also use our 33-074 set screw, if you cannot reuse your old one.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)