What do I need for my balances

A professional from San Juan Capistrano, CA says:
I need to replace 24 balances. The balances are labeled with a number. The size listed on the balance is different than the actual length of the part. For example a size 16 measures 17". I think it is a 16" part but I need to be sure. Please clarify.

I have the weights for each sash but I dont know which weight balance I should choose. Most of the sash weigh 9-13lbs. I have 4 that weigh 18 lbs.

I also need 4 balances 36" and the sash weighs 37 lbs.

Please tell me what to buy.
Thanks for your help.

Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Tom. I see you were looking at our Series 751 channel balance. Is that what you have?

If so, then the number printed on the balance is the strength of the spring, not the length of the channel. It won't necessarily be the same. You should determine what length your balance is by physically measuring it.

Please confirm the lengths of the balances you wish to replace, as well as the weights of the respective sashes. I need the weights to be as exact as possible so that I can tell you the correct option to select.
A professional from San Juan Capistrano, CA says:
Yes, I was looking at the 751 ribbed balances. I remeasured all balances, here is what I need.
8 @ 33", sash weight = 18 lbs
4 @ 37", sash weight = 38 lbs
6 @ 29", sash weight = 17 lbs
2 @ 29", sash weight = 12 lbs
2 @ 33", sash weight = 14 lbs
2 @ 17", sash weight = 10 lbs

Let me know what to buy.

Thanks

Tom J
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great. I'll suggest options one at a time, in order:

-33", 18 pounds: I recommend 32R. Two balances with the 32R stamp can carry a sash weight of 15 through 24 pounds.

-37", 38 pounds: This balance will have to be custom made. Check out this Custom Channel Balance Order Form (37") based on your specifications and fill out the rest of the information. One of our rerepsentatives will get back to you shortly thereafter with a price quote.

-29", 17 pounds: I recommend our 28R option. Two 28R balances can carry 15 through 22 pounds.

-29", 12 pounds: I recommend 28L this time. Two 28L balances can carry 10 through 15 pounds. To order a 29" Series 751 with a 28L stamp, check out this Custom Channel Balance Order Form (28L)

-33", 14 pounds: 32L for this one. Two 32L's can carry 10 through 15 pounds, also. To order a 33" Series 751 with a 32L stamp, check out this Custom Channel Balance Order Form (32L)

-17", 10 pounds: 16R. Two 16R's can carry 10 through 17 pounds.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.