Ribbed channel balance identification

A quick learner from Duluth says:
This came off of a Crestline window. I got no help from the retailer nor the manufacturer. Beyond the "40C", there are some smaller stamps, "198" and "VN" from what I can read (they are really small stamps). The shoe looks like your 15-014 my balance looks very much like the S751, including the shoe. It is a tilting window with a ribbed balance.

I have included a picture of the channel in which the balance lives, and a picture of the shoe as it is installed. Sorry I cannot get a better picture of the original shoe. The shoe is broken in the balance I removed from the jamb, and I don't want to try to remove the other side because it was such a PITA to get the one channel out of jamb. The shoe does have the little metal knife blade on a pivot, but I cannot be certain it is exactly like the 15-014.

The dimensions of the channel seem to match up with the dimensions of the 15-014 show. Please refer to my picture of the channel.

Hopefully this will be enough information to identify the properly replacement channel balance. If I need to remove an original shoe I think I may need to cut out a small section of the channel to get it out, or find a tool to spread the channel open.model. Only one is broken, but I would consider purchasing 2 (or more).
Shoe and channel
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It's tough to make out, but your shoe looks like it could be closer to our 15-197 than the 15-014. Can you confirm? Could you also show me a picture of the balance so that I can see how it attaches to your jamb liner? Finally, please tell me what number is stamped on the balance itself.
A home owner from Duluth says:
Thank you for your help. Upon inspection, I agree that the shoe looks identical to the 15-197. The balance is 41" long with "40C" stamped on it. In smaller letters there is "198" and "VN". The balance hangs on an S-hook that is 1" long (you can see this from the end on the jamb liner in my picture). The balance has a rivet about 7/8" from the top that hooks on. It appears the only way to hang the balance is to remove the jamb liner, put in the balance, then install the jamb liner.

I hope that helps pin down what I need. Thanks again for your help.

Tim
Here are a few pictures of the balance.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you again for waiting. I believe we can custom make this, yes. The last thing I'm not sure about is the style of the metal channel. I think it might be ribbed instead of plain, but I'm not sure. You can see a comparison here.

Assuming it's ribbed, I'm thinking of making a 41" long Series 751 balance for you, but with the default shoe swapped out for the 15-197. The only question after that is which option to choose. None of the S751-41 options match "40C," but I will tell you what we can offer:

40R: Can carry a sash weight of 15 through 25 pounds
40HD: Can carry a sash weight of 25 through 30 pounds
40TG: Can carry a sash weight of 30 through 38 pounds

Please let me know which of these options would best match your sash weight.
Thanks, Tom.

This is indeed a ribbed channel.

I did some googling, and the 40C balance seems to be for sash weights of 19-25 lbs (depending on which site's chart you look at). I don't have the window near me (it's an hour's drive away), but having had the sash out several times it does seem to weigh about 20lbs. So, let's go with the 40R with the 15-197 shoe.

I would purchase two of these, and a few extra shoes. I would also like two of the long S-hooks, item #19-030 (hoping that these would allow me to remove the balance in the future without pulling out the jamb liner.

Thanks again for your help with this!

Tim
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You got it! I'll shoot over an order link right now.
Thanks, I got my order in! Tim
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.