SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Rubber sweep for bottom of screen/storm door

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
We have two similar storm doors. They are over 20 years old with no manufacturer markings. We need to replace the rubber sweeps. The photos show the slot at the bottom of the door that the sweep slides into. The other photos show the door and the old sweep. The sweep is a t-shape. The top of the sweep that fits into the slot is about 1/8 inch wide. The sweep itself from the top of the "t" to the bottom is 1/2 inch. We cannot find an exact replacement but hope you can help. If necessary, we can send a sample piece. Thanks!!!
User submitted photos of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It's hard to say for sure what will work. Start with our 40-172 and see how its dimensions match up. If not, you could consider a face-mount sweep like our 40-003.
The rubber sweep you sent me (40-172) does not fit as the "T" is too wide for the slot (see phones above). I suspect returning them would cost more than it is worth (please advise). I wonder if your face mount sweeps: 40-003 might work. Note in the photo above the two mounting screws that would have to match up to your product. The doors are about 29 inches wide and the two mounting screws are about 6.5 inches in from each end. Thanks!
User submitted a photo of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sorry to hear the 40-172 didn't work. You said the "T" is too wide, but not by how much. Without knowing the exact dimensions of your old sweep, it's hard to know what to recommend. It is very important to measure your old hardware to confirm what can fit. If you can, please measure your old seal and let me know what you get. You can use the dimensions we show for the 40-172 as a reference.

As for returning the 40-172, there is no restocking fee for this hardware. You can return it any time you wish for a refund.
Thanks for your note. The "T" on my existing strip measure "slightly" less than 1/8 inch (between 3/32 and 1/8), although I think an exact 1/8 inch measurement might work. The product I bought, 40-172, is between 3/16 and 1/4 inch (or 7/32 as you note in your diagram). Do you have a true 1/8 inch version? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The closest we have is our 58-162, but I'm not sure if it'd be long enough. Could you get this to work? If length is an issue, can you adjust your door down to make up for it?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)