SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Rusted broken pivot pin

A landlord from Lowell MA says:
I ordered replacement pins recently. I was able to determine which ones were needed from a window in good shape - but on the one I need to fix the pins are broken off from rust and I can't figure out how to get the broken end out. My handyman is suggesting to replace the sash entire - I'd be open to that - but the windows are 20 years old and I don't know the manufacturer. Is it possible to disassemble the frame? We have tried PB Blaster to loosen and pull out the pin but it's not moving.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hopefully you won't have to replace the sash. There's an old trick I use that helps me remove heavily corroded pivot bar fragments. First, remove sash, turn it on its side, and spray WD-40 in the hole where the rusted pivot bar is. You might also have to spray the locking tilt bar screw. Wait an hour and try to remove the screw and with needle nose pliers, then try to pull the tilt bar out. If that doesn't work, spray again, wait a few minutes, and then use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the area and try again. However, be very careful with the heat since there is a risk that you could warp the frame or crack the glass. Ideally it won't have to come to that.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Also, I notice you ordered our 26-083. We actually have a stainless steel version in our 26-437. You may want to consider this, as it is more weather resistant.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)