SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

S306-30 don't work

A home owner from Mission, TX says:
In October of 2013 I purchased S306-30 red tip on the advice of my window repair person. He then installed them. The windows never worked properly after the installation. They have to be forced open and closed. One of the balances broke.

My window is 44 & 7/8" wide and 40 & 3/8" in height. The glass leg height is 36 & 3/8". The glass is double pane.

What is wrong?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
There could be a lot of issues. First, did the person who installed the balances damage or bend the window frame or track? Can you confirm that the length and diameter of the original balance tube was 30" x 3/8"?

Finally, when you say the window is double, do you mean it had insulated glass? If so, then you may have wanted to go with the Green tip, not Red. Two S306-30 balances with a Green tip can carry a window sash weight of 14 through 26 pounds. The Red tip may not have been strong enough.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)