SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

S306 Balance color

A handy person from USA says:
I am in the process of replacing balances that are worn out. Almost all of my windows have required 31" 306 3/8th diameter. Before ordering I found that three of my windows have a 3/8th diameter with a blue/green tip. I do not see where you offer this color tip. Will the 306 balance with a red tip work?

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Brian. I don't think Red Tip would work, you should probably stick with what you have. However, it would mean the balances will need to be specially made for you. I would be happy to get started on that for you, but before I do I think it would be best if we would confirm the weight of your window sash, just in case. Let me know and we can work from there.
A quick learner from saginaw tx says:
how do i get the weight of the sash? use a floor scale?

i forgot to mention i am not able to remove the sash that i am aware of
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You would have to use a scale, yes. If you cannot remove the sash, then it will be hard to get the exact weight. I recommend that you place a scale on the sill and then gently lower the sash on top of it. It won't give us an exact weight, but it's better than nothing and will at least give us an idea of what you're working with.
A quick learner from usa says:
OK so here are the measurements. The sash is 47"W x 30.5"H. It weighs about 25lbs. The balance appears to have a green end (see attached. It measures 29"L and 3/8" diameter. Other then the tip it is like the 306's I have been ordering.

I am concerned if I order the exact length 29" they will be to short based on experience on a previous order so i have been ordering 1-2" longer.

I will need enough to do 3 windows
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great, thank you for the information. I think it would be best if you stick with the Green tip. Two 31" long Series 306 spiral balances with a Green Tip can carry a window sash weight of 14 through 26 pounds.

If you wish to go with the 31" balance, then check out this Spiral Balance Request Form that I've started for you based on your specifications. Once you fill out and submit the rest of the information, one of our representatives will get back to you shortly thereafter.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)