S351-16 vs S390-16

A home owner from virginia says:
The only stamping I see on my channel balance is 1620 and B.S.I.
Judging from the pictures I think I need the S351 because the foot looks closer to what I have.

Thanks,

Andy
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Andy. The major difference between our Series 390 and Series 351 channel balances are, indeed, in the bottom shoe. To determine which one you have, please look at the measurements for our 15-001 and 15-002 bottom shoes and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-1/8" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which measurement more closely resembles your own shoe?

You might also want to double check the length of your metal channel. Based on your stamp, it should be 17", not 16".
The length of the metal is 16". The overall length is 17"
Should I order S390-16 or S390-17? Should I specify option 1520 or 1620?
Profile picture of Tom
If your metal channel is 16", and your stamp reads 1620, then your balance may have been cut down from its original length of 17". Please just confirm one more time that only the metal channel is 16". Do not incorporate the plastic attachments in your measurements. If it is, then I will need to know the weight of your window sash in order to select an appropriate stamp option.
OK, I think I need an S390-16. The metal channel is 16" and appears to have been cut down. The weight of the window sash is 11.5 pounds. Please advise which option. Do you have a video on replacement of the channels on an upper sash?

Thanks,

Andy
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us, Andy. I'd go with the 1530 stamp option, which has a window sash weight capacity of 10 through 12 pounds.

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.