SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

S385-29, but what option ?

A handy person from santa clarita says:
Recently found that one of the windows had a stuck channel balance. Upon taking them out, it looks like I have two different tension springs. Can you please let me know which part I should be ordering?

Thanks

Tim
User submitted photos of window balances.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It looks like both of your balances are marked with 29 4, which both correspond to our 2940 option. This option can carry a window sash weight of 23 through 28 pounds. If your sash weight falls in this range, then I think the 2940 is the way to go.
A quick learner from Santa Clarita says:
Just to confirm.... Should I order the 30" which gives the 2940 option? The total length of my existing balance is 30" from end to end, including the plastic ends.

Thanks
Tim
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. That should not be the case. With a stamp if 29 4, the length of only the metal channel should be 30". What is the length of your metal channel? Also, what is your sash weight?
A quick learner from Santa Clarita says:
I've verified that the length of the metal part of the counter weight is 30". Not sure on the window weight though. So it sounds like I really do need the 30" with the 2940 option then, correct?

Thanks for the help.

Tim
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, a 30" length with a 2940 option sounds good. You may want to weigh your sash just in case, but it's up to you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)