What is the difference between red and blue tips?

A handy person from zionsville Indiana says:
What is the difference between the red verses the blue vinyl tipped spiral balances?
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The color tip for spiral balances determines the strength of the balance; that is, how much weight it can support.

If you aren't sure what color tip you need, please remove the window sash and place it on a scale to give us the weight in pounds. Also give us the balance tube length and we can suggest a color tip for you.
A home owner from Zionsville Indiana says:
My window sash weighs 21 lbs. The balances are 5/8 (9/16) diameter and are 23" long on my window with the most problem. The pains have shifted and there is more friction than my other windows, both up and down.

My other windows weigh ~20 lbs, the balances are also 5/8 diameter and are 17" long. They do not have friction problems.

Will a stronger spring on my problem window help me lift it easier?

Sincerely
Carey
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You may not need to buy new balances. Try lubricating the spiral on the 23" balance, or give its spiral another turn or two. See if that works, then let me know!
A handy person from Zionsville Indiana says:
I have cleaned and lubricated the tracks, and adjusted the red tipped balances from 4 to 10 turns. 6 or 7 turns worked the best, but the window requires extra effort to lift. I'm contemplating using blue tipped balances in place of the red tipped. What is an appropriate lubricant for the balances and the track?
Regardless, I will be buying 10 or 12 new balances to replace balances that are worn out on several of my windows. Are there differences in the quality of balances that are available?
Thank you for your replies.
Carey
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
For the S600-17 spiral balances, we recommend going with the blue tip; and for the S600-23 spiral balances, we recommend the red tip. These balances come pre-lubricated.

As for quality, all of our balances are the same quality, regardless of type.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.