SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

S850-34, but with a blue shoe

A home owner from Lawrenceville GA says:
according to your site and pictures, I have a series 850 crossbow balance that is 34.5 inches long and the width of the shoe is 1 inch. but you only show a black or white shoe. the shoe I have is blue. can you help?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! We've seen the Blue shoe for the Series 850 a couple times in the past, but to be honest we're not sure what exactly its used for. Typically, the color of the shoe denotes the strength of the spring, but we have no record of Blue or what it represents. If possible, I'd like to know the weight of the sash that your balances support. There's a good chance one of our standard shoe colors can still work for you.
A home owner from Lawrenceville GA says:
Hi Tom ,I received your responce and I am also confused why a blue shoe was used. I also read about a contracter working about 10 miled from me also had to deal with the blue shoe, maybe its a georgia thing. You asked me to weigh the window sash that the two balances support. I took the lower window that is supported by the balances and it weighed 19.3 pounds.
Profile picture of Tom
Yeah, it's definitely a head scratcher. I think you're right, it must be some bizarre regional thing. Either way, your sash weight falls very comfortably into the Black shoe weight range. I think that option will work best for you.
A home owner from lawrenceville says:
Hi Tom, ok I will order balances with the black shoe. Thanks

Rick
Profile picture of Tom
Great! Thank you for your business. Let us know how they work out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)