SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

SLIDING GLASS DOOR HANDLES

A home owner from SENECA FALLS, NY 13148 says:
I HAVE AND OLD 'PPG HERCULITE' SLIDING DOOR ASSEMBLY. OUR HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1974, SO THEY ARE OLD (I HAVE 2 MATCHING SETS; UPSTAIRS AND DOWN). ANYWAY, I'M TRYING TO REPLACE THE HANDLES ON BOTH. THE ORIGINALS WERE 'WHITE METAL', ALL ONE PIECE. DISTANCE BETWEEN CENTERS IS 5 1/8". THE INSIDE FACEPLATE IS ABOUT 7 1/4" LONG AND 7/8" WIDE. I DON'T MIND A LONGER HANDLE AND EVEN REDRILLING 1 HOLE BUT I WANT TO COME CLOSE. THE LATCH IS LIKE A HALF TURN HOOK LOCK (FROM THE INSIDE ONLY) LOCATED ABOUT HALF WAY BETWEEN THE HOLE CENTERS ON THE INSIDE LATCH.

- - I HAVEN'T DONE A LOT OF NAVIGATING ON YOUR WEB SITE BUT I THINK YOUR SWISCO # 82-035 MAY BE CLOSE. YOUR THOUGHTS?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I cannot determine exactly what you have based on this information. Herculite is just the name of the company that made the glass, not the door itself. Do you still have the original handle? If so, can we see a couple pictures of it?

Can you also confirm your hole spacing? The 82-035 has a hole spacing of 3-15/16", but you said yours is 5-1/8". Make sure to only measure the installation holes.
A home owner from SENECA FALLS, NY 13148 says:
PAUL - I SAW YOUR RESPONSE. I DO NOT HAVE THE PICTURE TO E-MAIL TECHNOLOGY AND CURRENTLY HAVE FRIENDS THAT HAVE BORROWED MY CAMERA. I WILL TRY TO BE MORE DETAILED SO YOU CAN HELP ME. MY HANDLES ARE ABOUT 42 YEARS OLD. THEY ARE 1 PIECE WHITE METAL WITH THE INSIDE HANDLE HAVING THE APPROX 180 DEG TURN LATCH ON THE 7 1/4"L 7/8"W FACEPLATE. THE LATCH IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 5 1/8" HOLE CENTERS. THE INSIDE HANDLE IS 9"LONG AND ABOUT 7/8"WIDE. THE WHITE METAL THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE FACEPLATE AND HANDLE IS ABOUT 1 1/2" LONG WHICH EXTENDS THE HANDLE ABOUT THAT DISTANCE FROM THE DOOR (WHICH IS ABOUT 1 9/16" WIDE/WOOD FRAME). THE INSIDE/OUTSIDE HANDLES ARE CONNECTED WITH 2" BRASS SCREWS WITH THE OUTSIDE HANDLE ALL THE SAME DIMENSIONS AS THE INSIDE NOTED ABOVE. MY HARDWARE STORE SAW A WRITEUP TO SWISCO WITH HANDLES VERY SIMILAR TO MINE FROM MARCIA (SHOREVIEW MN) DATED 12/28/2011. SHE HAD 5 1/4" SCREW HOLES (FM CENTERS) AND TOM FROM SWISCO RESPONDED (PARAPHRASING) 'TRY OUR 82-035....YOU'LL HAVE TO RE-DRILL NEW HOLES, ETC.,ETC. THAT'S WHY I REFERENCED THE 82-035. I DON'T MIND REDRILLING HOLES IF NEEDED.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid your description did not narrow things down. There are some subtle details that we can only make out when we can see the part itself. In this case it may be necessary, since 5-1/8" is such a strange hole spacing. I suppose you could re-drill, but without knowing more about the handle or who made it, I hesitate to recommend a substitute option that may not work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)