SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sash hinge pin on bottom of sash?

A home owner from 601 Old Hickory Boulevard, Unit 79 of Fredericksburg, Brentwood, TN says:
Do you know the name for the sash hinge pin that is located at the bottom corner on each side of the window? Most of my windows are missing this pin that hooks into the balance shoe, as they broke off over time. The attached photo shows the area on the window sash where the screw holds the pin in place.

Also, do you have the weather stripping depicted in the photo and located at the bottom of the window sash? It looks severely worn. If you do have it, would I be able to cut the length I need to attach to the window from a longer piece?
A customer submitted photo of a window pivot.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! If at all possible, could you remove this pivot bar from the sash, so that we can see the whole thing? This will help us identify what you need.

In the meantime, please look at our 26-318. Could this possibly work?
A quick learner from 601 Old Hickory Boulevard, Unit 79 of Fredericksburg, Brentwood, TN says:
I measured the pivot bar and is 2 and 1/2 inches long. Attached are two photos of it. I believe the 26-318 pivot bar you recommended is correct.

Also attached is a photo of the only spring and string balance with both plastic parts for the two larger main level windows. These 2 single-hung vinyl windows measure 38" high by 35 1/2" wide (48" measured diagonally). The spring not stretched measures 14 and 1/2 inches long from each hook end. The stretched spring measures 29 and 1/2 inches long from the bottom of the black shoe to the hook end of the spring. From one end of the plastic part to the other end of the other plastic part along the hollow gray plastic rod measures 6 inches long.

The other 6 upstairs single-hung vinyl windows measure 32" high by 36" wide (46" measured diagonally). The measurement from the bottom of the black shoe to the top of the hollow plastic rod is 37 inches. All of the springs are disconnected and measure 13 and 1/2 inches from hook end to hook end. The measurement from the bottom of the black shoe (I previously sent photos of) to the top of the hollow plastic gray rod is 37 and 1/2" and the measurement from the top of the black shoe to the top of the hollow plastic rod is 35".

Can you provide me with your best recommendation of the string and spring balances that may work with both window sizes? Once the proper balances are recommended, I will be ready to place my order.

Thanks for all your help!

Todd
A customer submitted photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Glad to hear that the 26-318 would work for you, Todd. As for your balances, it looks like you may have a Block and Tackle Rod Balance. Do any of these look like they may work? If you aren't sure, please remove the balance from the window and take a few pictures of the attachments on either end for us to look at.
A quick learner from 601 Old Hickory Boulevard, Unit 79 of Fredericksburg, Brentwood, TN says:
Does the top of the new balance screw in to the window jam only slightly higher than the lower sash that measures 32" high for six windows and 38" for two windows? The old balance has a long single string from the top of the bottom sash that is screwed into the window jam adjoining the top of the upper sash, which would be a total distance of approximately 64" to 76".

It does not seem necessary to secure your similar string and spring balances much higher than the height of the lower sashes. Is this correct? If the window will stay open half way instead of all of the way based on the length differences in your balances, I am fine with that.

I am ready for your best recommendation of the length of balance I need based on the window measurements provided in order to order the Series 850 block and tackle rod balances with a black shoe, pivot bars (26-318), and left (26-243) and right (26-244) tilt window latches.

If you have two balance lengths to recommend for each window, could I return the one that does not work as well with the windows? Could that be the best thing to do based on the measurements with photos I have provided?

Thanks!

Todd
A customer submitted photo of a crossbow balance.
Profile picture of Paul
We highly recommend that you order the same sized balance as the on you had originally, whatever that size may be. You can see the available sizes on the Series 850 page.

As for where you screw it in, you would use the same top hole as your old balance.
A home owner from 601 Old Hickory Boulevard, Unit 79 of Fredericksburg, Brentwood, TN says:
Attached are 2 photographs representing the balance length for the two 38" High by 35.5" wide kitchen windows with a length of the balance measuring of approximately 37.5" (48" diagonally). Would it be better to go with a Swisco 36.5" balance or the Swisco 38.5" balance? The measurement from the bottom of the black shoe to the hook part of the spring at the other end is 22".

The balances are all broken for the smaller 6 bedroom windows (missing the second plastic part that covers the end of the hollow rod and was probably adjoining the metal piece that is screwed into the top of the framing). These 6 smaller windows measure 32" high by 35.5" wide (46" diagonally). The measurement from the bottom of the black shoe to the hook part of the spring at the other end (attached to the only plastic part) is 13.5" compared to 22" for the spring and shoe only for the larger kitchen windows. Assuming the other missing plastic part attaches to the end of the gray hollow plastic rod, then the measurement for the entire length of the balance for the smaller bedroom windows would appear to be approximately 31" to 31.5".

Do you think I am finally ready to order the balances? Hopefully, we are at the point where you can say....YES!

Thanks for all your help!

Todd
A customer submitted photo of a crossbow balance.
Profile picture of Paul
It looks like you're measuring from the tip of the shoe to the very tip of the metal clip. You should only be measuring from the tip of the shoe to the tip of the white plastic end. Just by eyeballing your picture, I want to say that your first balance appears to be 36.5", but you should confirm by remeasuring. I would do the same with your smaller balance. Remember: only measure from the tip of the shoe to the plastic end at the top, do not count the metal clip in your measurements. Please take a look at this image to see an example of the measurements needed:

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)