Sash pull placement

A home owner from Vermont says:
I have a whole houseful of 400 series replacement double hung windows. I did not order them with sash pulls. I am small, older, and have a weak back. I now want to install sash pulls -- two on each window -- but at the outside tops of the lower sashes where I can get better leverage by pushing up to open and pulling down to close. (The windows are very stiff to open and close.). Can I install sash pulls there without breaking anything?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If the window is Andersen, then I think our 20-015 would be a good place to start. You may also want to use a silicone spray on the window tracks to help in the raising and lowering of the sashes.
A home owner from Greensboro Bend, VT says:
Um, you didn't really answer my question, which was about whether or not it was OK to install sash pulls at the top of the bottom-most sashes (rather than the bottom, where they usually go). I am concerned about drilling holes where no holes should go.

Also, I read mixed advice about silicone sprays on vinyl tracks. Some people say that the sprays will soften the vinyl. Is Elmer's Slide-All safe to use? Do you recommend something specific?

Finally, it would be nice if Anderson's maintenance advice for their windows would discuss what to do about windows that are very hard to slide up and down in their tracks, and not because the tracks are dirty-- even when new.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry! I think Paul was implying that the lubrication would make the windows easier to open without changing anything around.

To be honest, it's difficult to say anything for sure without actually seeing the sash you're going to install these pulls on. If you want, you can take a few photos of the window and a close up of where you will be installing these pulls and we can see if there would be any complications.

Also, can you confirm that these windows are Andersen brand? Are the sashes made of wood or vinyl? Also, on the "hard to open" issue, how old are your windows? I'm thinking maybe the balances or springs inside the tracks could be wearing out, as well. I hope not, since it may make things a little more complicated.

As for the lubricant, I have heard a few ideas on what to use. The silicone spray could yellow the vinyl, but it is often the preferred lubrication since it does not gather debris or dust. WD-40 could dissolve some vinyls, as well. Teflon spray might be a good alternative, but I myself have used Silicone spray with great success in the past. It depends on the vinyl compounds used in the window, which is difficult to figure out, as you can imagine.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.