SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sash window channel balance

A home owner from Gilroy, California says:
I am not sure which part I need to order. Actually, this one window had two slightly different balances in it. The longer one (numbers-1) is 27 11/16" long and the top and bottom pieces are both broken. I think that one is too long. The shorter one is 27 5/16" long. The shafts are 1/2" wide. The top and bottom pieces all have "wings" on them that make them 15/16" wide.

Thanks in advance for your help.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. We should be able to help, though this will need to be custom made. Before we begin, can you just tell me how many you need? Once I have that, I can send you a special link that will let you add the custom balance to your cart. It will also come with a price quote.
A home owner from Gilroy CA says:
I only need two of these. You have me scared. I don't think I need an exact match to one of them. It is obvious to me that the longer one was a replacement that was a little too long. Along with the quote, can you tell me what the closest match you have is and how much that would cost.

Profile picture of Tom
Don't worry, this is a fairly common request. The only reason these balances need to be custom made is because of how many little details need to be specified (specifically the nylon attachments and the metal clip). Because of the many variations, we have a hard time carrying it as a standard item. Fortunately, your great pictures tell us everything we need.

Concerning your length, this style of balance is usually always made to end on 5/8". In your case, it would be 27-5/8". I'm not sure why you had alternate sizes in your window; it could have been because the original installers cut them down for whatever reason, but I can't comment on that. Based on what I see in your pictures, 27-5/8" should be the length you need. I'll send you a quote and order link for 2 of these. If you think that length will work, you can place your order whenever you wish. If not, let me know and we can try to find something else.
A home owner from Gilroy California says:
Thanks for your help. The price for the custom balances is acceptable. I just placed my order.
Profile picture of Tom
Awesome! Thank you for the order. Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)