SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Screen door latch

A handy person from Bedford Hills NY says:
I have the attached pic of screen door latch that is broken. It has a 1 1/8 inch backset. I have not been able to find a replacement. Can you help?
User submitted a photo of a door knob.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I have seen handles like this before, but I don't believe it is still available. That said, we have a couple possible solutions you can consider.

First off, your handle looks like the 40-096, but this set has a mortise type latch. You would need to drill a hole on the edge of your door. Yours is a surface-mounted latch, instead. Perhaps something like our 40-035 or 40-040 would be better, but the 40-131 handle could also be a good replacement. The 40-131 would require you to drill some extra holes, however, and I am not sure if the handle base will cover your hole cut out in the door. You might want to talk to a locksmith in your area for other suggestions, or with someone who is familiar with wood storm door handles.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)