Screen door return spring

A quick learner from Chicago, IL says:
I purchased the 450 series sliding patio door at Lowe's.

They also sold me the wood screen door that goes with it telling me that it came with a return spring. After the contractor installed the doors (two) we did not find the return springs. I investigated in the Pella for Lowe's catalog and found that the return spring is not even an option for the 450 series doors. This is very disappointing since I thought (per the door department manager)I was getting the spring returning screen door.

I removed the track and it looks like a spring can be added.

However, I need to know if the return spring 86-021 OD is 3/16" or less. That's all the space there is in the top track with the rollers for the spring.

Can you please tell me the outside diameter of the 86-021 spring?

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Greg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. I just measured the 86-021 and it is 1/4" in diameter. Do you still think you could get it to work?
Tom,
Looks like total space is 9/32 so 1/4" might work although it might rub too much. It looks like it would mostly rub on the top inside of the channel (hopefully not on the rollers as it will be sitting between them).

Was your measure of 1/4" real precise?
I cannot afford for it to be anymore then that.
Thanks for the quick reply.
If it is exactly 1/4" or slightly less then I'll take a chance on it.
Thanks again,
Greg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It was actually a hair less than 1/4", though not quite 7/32". I hope this information helps, Greg.
Tom,
Thanks for the double check. They should work perfectly. I'll be ordering two.
I'll report back after the install so others can read the results.
Greg
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.