SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Screens door latch broken

A home owner from Harlan, IA says:
On the Underside of the outdoor pull latch is stamped Ideal DX-1 and D-423-320. Inside the latch is a coil spring that is broken. Is that the only spring that is to be in the latch? The latch is well made and I would like to repair If possible.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what you have, exactly. Is it something like our 40-038? If you aren't sure, can I see a few pictures? I'd like to see the coil spring and the latch set itself.
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom. I looked up the 40-038 part and compared it to what I have.

Length is 2 7/32", Head is 5/16" diameter, there is no flat portion, the end opposite the head is 5/32" diameter, the end next to the head is 7/32" diameter and the taper from 5/32" to 7/32" is 1" from the end of the head. Next to the head is a stop that is 7/16" diameter.

The spring looks just like the spring shown on the 40-038. I will try to attach a couple of pictures. Thanks! The pictures are 012.JPG and 013.JPG
User submitted a photo of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. I'm afraid we do not carry a spindle and spring like yours by itself. You may want to consider replacing the complete lock set on your door. Looking at your photo, the handle set resembles our 40-152. Look it over and see what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)