The installation screw is loose on my 82-043 handle set

A home owner from The Sea Ranch says:
The door handle is loose, upper screw just turns in place, won't tighten. Can you suggest a way to repair?
Thank you!
User submitted a photo of a patio door thumb latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like the screw hole is possibly stripped. Remove the handle and screws and examine the holes in the door to confirm.
A home owner from The Sea Ranch says:
Kind of figured that but how do you repair? Is there a recommended filler? Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I guess it would depend on how severely the hole is stripped. There are honestly a lot of solutions. Fixing a stripped out hole isn't an exact science. I have personally used a broken toothpick and Elmer's glue to help fill in a hole in a wood frame like this, but there's no saying if that will work for you in this instance. I would check with a local hardware store, they may have a couple suggestions, as well.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.