SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sears storm door handle 30970122 and 61970122

A quick learner says:
I have a 20 year old Sears storm door--full glass--antique brass handle. The door is still in good condition but the brass handle has corroded. A seal on the side of the door says it is a SEARS storm door. The faded numbers appear to be 30970122 and 61970122. The screw holes are 1 3/4 in. apart and the picture appears to be exactly what is on the door. Is the part number 40-043 the part for this door. Since I'm buying this online I just want to make sure I'm purchasing the correct one. Is this part available in stores?

Thanks,
Gladys
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Gladys. I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with those numbers. I can't say for sure if our 40-043 is a match. How does it compare? Are the dimensions the same? How about the style? I'd be better able to say what can work if you take a few pictures. Let me know!
A home owner says:
Thanks for your reply. My handle looks the same as pic of 40-043. Measurements of mine: screw holes are 1 3/4 center; handle faceplate is 3 1/2 x 1 3/4. My handyman said I can replace this myself as I've installed replacement knobs on inside doors. I assume the inside piece does not have to be put together and comes in one piece--as does the outside handle?

Gladys
Profile picture of Tom
Looks like all the dimensions you listed seem to line up. It sounds like it's a pretty close match.

No, you don't have to put the actual parts together. Everything comes as you see in the product images.
A home owner says:
Tom--3 days after I placed my order, the Sears storm door handle arrived! This was the same as the original handle. The posts on the outdoor handle were a little difficult to push into existing holes, but my handy cordless drill solved the problem. All in all, an easy installation--am pleased with the new handle! Thanks for your help.

Gladys
Profile picture of Tom
Wonderful! Glad to hear it worked for you, Gladys. Let me know if you need any help in the future and I'd be happy to assist.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)