SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Seeking my balance...

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
Attached are the pictures of the window next to my broken one. It is the same height, but smaller in width. Looking at it closer, is it plain or ribbed channel? It is 44 1/2" long. The bottom window of the smaller one measures 26 1/2" wide and 23" high and weighs 11 lbs. I don't have another window the same as the broken one to weigh.
The window is about 27 years old. The bottom glass that comes out measures 32 1/2" by 23".
I was told by the lumber yard where we purchased the windows that I can just squeeze the side panel to release it and install the new one.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Tilt in and remove your top and bottom sashes, that should let you remove the jamb liner. They are floating in the window frame. After you remove the jamb liner, you can remove the balances and pivot lock shoes so that you can get a better idea of what you need. Check out the video below for some tips on what you can do. It's the same principle, more or less.
In the meantime, I believe you have something like our 15-109 pivot shoe and Series 750 channel balance. What do you think?
A quick learner from Landing, NJ says:
I watched the video. I do not have the first piece that he unscrewed on the video. However, the channels do look the same. Mine do not have the knife lock shoe. My windows have a post that sticks out on each side that fits into a metal groove in the piece under the metal ribbed channel, then rotates as I tilt the window up into place.
By the way, I just had another one break on a smaller window yesterday as I was attempting to remove it to clean. The channel measures 32 1/2" long and the bottom pane weighs 8 lbs. I weighed it when it fell out before I attempted to put it back in. I got it in finally.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I know the video doesn't have your same exact balance shoe, but it works on the same principle. After you remove both sashes, you can remove the vinyl jamb. With the jamb out, place a flat head screw driver into the metal cam in the 15-109 bar guide to release it so you can unhook and remove the balance with the guide. Now, attach the bar guide to the new balance and slide both into the track opening, re-hook the "S" clip to the balance and top jamb. Place the flat head screwdriver in the metal cam pull down the tie bar where it originally was. Finally, reinstall the jamb and sashes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)