SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Selecting an out-swing storm door for conversion to an in-swing door

A home owner from Saint Paul, MN says:
I wanted to install an in-swing storm door on my screened-in porch so that I wouldn't push guests off the landing when I opened the door. The Home Depot employee who came to measure the door frame said that it could be done with a pre-hung door but not a storm door. I conducted an internet search but he was right--pre-made in-swing storm doors don't seem to exist. I came to the realization that I'm going to have to convert an out-swing storm door to an in-swing storm door.

Since I haven't bought the door yet I thought I'd ask, what out-swing storm doors do you recommend for use with your in-swinging storm door closer bracket conversion hardware? Thank you.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:

You could get a regular storm door and install our 40-028 lock set. However, you would also need to use the in-swing closer bracket 40-006. You will also need a closer like the 40-077, but that should be included with the storm door you purchase.

Also take note that if your porch has a "pitch" where it slopes down from the house, you could have a problem with swinging the storm door toward the inside. It could drag on the floor where the porch slopes upward. You might need to install a threshold like the 58-092 to give you a little more room under the storm door. Talk to the contractor who will be installing the storm door and get some ideas from them.

A home owner from seattle says:
I'm wondering if you completed this project, and how it went. I just bought a house with an enclosed porch and I have the same situation where people have to back off the steps so I can open the door. It looks like I might be able to order a high end custom in-swing door, but I am looking for a pretty inexpensive solution. How did your project go, and what did you end up using? Thanks!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)