SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Selecting the correct spiral window balance

A quick learner from Orlando, FL says:
I have measured my balance and it is 3/8" x 23 5/8". It has a white tip and it's a tilt window.

As you only have balances in even inch measurments, what is the best option to replace my orginal balance?
User submitted photos of a spiral balance.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I think you might want to consider our S900-23 spiral balance. Just double check your measurements. Make sure when measuring the length and diameter that you're only measuring the outer tube.
A quick learner from Orlando, FL says:
I measured it a few times before I posted just to make sure I had it right and I only measured the black tube (in my case metal) and I did not include the tip.

You didn't mention the tip color. Mine is white and you only have Red and Blue tips, so should I go with the Red tip?

Also, as a rule of thumb is it better to go a little shorter on the replacement balance vs. a little longer?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what tip color you need. You will have to weigh your window sash and compare it to the weight ranges shown for the S900-23, or whichever size balance you choose to go with.

The rule of thumb is to replace your balance with exactly what was installed originally. Your case is a little different, though, so it's hard to say. Balances usually come in lengths that end on the inch. It's not common that they have an uneven length like yours. I think Dave is right in this case, and that you should use a 23" long balance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)