SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Series 306 spiral balance with green tip

A home owner from Surprise, AZ. says:
My windows have a 3/8 by 29 inch spiral 306 series sash balance with a green tip. When I try to place an order all I come up with is that item with a red tip. Is that a suitable substitute?
By the way these windows were installed about twelve years ago.
Thanks.

Kent
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Kent!

Before we move forward, can you please give us the weight of your sash (in lbs.)? You can place the sash on a bathroom scale after your remove the sash from the window.
A quick learner from Surprise, AZ. says:
Mike,
The sash weighs just over twenty pounds--20.3lbs.
Thanks.

Kent
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks, Kent! If your sash is only 20.3 pounds, I believe that the S306-29 red tip should work for this. It would have a weight capacity of 10 through 22 pounds.

Keep in mind that this information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.

However, I'm re-reading your original post, and it looks like you said that the spiral was 29". The length of our balances is determined by the metal tube only. Can you confirm the length of your metal tube? Please do not count the color tip or spiral in the measurement.
Paul,
Just rechecked and yes, just the tube is 29 inches long. The window frames are a type of plastic. Would it be better to go to the next larger capacity balance if there is some overlap and the 20 lbs is within its weight capacity range?
Thanks.

Kent
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to me, Kent. In that case, definitely take a look at our S306-29 and see what you think.

As for the tip, the red should work just fine for a sash weight of 20.3 pounds. We do not recommend "upgrading" balance weight capacity.
Paul,
Thanks for the help. Just placed an order for the parts and tools to repair the first two windows.

Kent
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)