SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Series 380 or 385 Sash Balance?

A quick learner from Southern California says:
I want to replace a broken sash balance and am unsure as to which Series I need. It appears that the top is a #19-005 but I'm not sure of the bottom. Hopefully you can identify from the attached images. the shape is similar to #15-004 or 15-005.

The sash balance is 33" in length and marked "3250" I'm assuming the lift weight marking is B.S.1. There are no other stamps on the balance so I would also need to know what the cross reference weight is for ordering the Swisco part.

Thanks in advance for your help. The resident in this rental property would be happy to get this window working again.

Regards,
Rich
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I can't tell what shoe this is without knowing its exact dimensions. The major difference between the 15-004 and 15-005 lies in their depth. Check out the image below and let me know which is a closer match.
Comparison of 15-004 & 15-005
As for the option, the 3250 is what you want to focus on. That usually corresponds to our 3250 option, but you might want to weigh your sash just in case. Once you've determined your balance Series, and once you've selected the length, you will see a list of options that balance has and how much weight a pair of each can support. You should weigh your window sash to confirm that the 3250 is correct.
A quick learner from Southern California says:
Tom:
Thanks for your response. The bottom depth dimension is 1" so it is the 15-005 that I am looking for. Unfortunately, the sash is at a rental unit which is approximately 25 miles away so I am unable to weigh it. The window is a newer vinyl type and I am pretty sure that the sash balances are original. I have the broken sash balance in my possession and took a look again at the markings: 3250 B.S.I. NH
Can the weight be determined from this info?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Rich
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Like I said, a stamp of 3250 usually corresponds to our 3250 option. I just recommended double checking the sash weight just to make sure that the stamp your balances have now is correct. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
A handy person from Southern California says:
Tom:
I realized after my follow-up post that the "3250" corresponds to the "weight" of the sash balance. I've gone ahead and ordered them with the 3250 option.

Thanks for your help!

Regards.
Rich
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)