SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Series 850 balance replacement

A quick learner from Charlotte, N.C. says:
I have a friend who owns a house. All of his windows will not stay up. Your 850 balance looks like his but the top white parts are gone and I don't know how to measure. I also want to be sure that yours is the exact one. But there are no identifing marks or number anywhere to be found on any of the windows. Can you help. We looked at these windows 4 years ago and gave up on trying to find a replacement. But I am persistant!
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for contacting us.

Your first step would be to send photos of the balance and balance attachments. We can help you identify exactly what balance Series you will need to order.
A quick learner from Charlotte, NC says:
Mike, I attached pictures of the balance and also one pic of right side lock, which I may need a few. There are different size windows that need fixing. Also can I get the white part that broke only instead of the whole balance? Joe.
User submitted photo of crossbow balance
Profile picture of Mike
Thank you for submitting your photos.

The Series 850 comes complete; we recommend you replace the entire balance.

In regards to your latch, please take a look at the Swisco 26-243 Tilt Window Latch.
A quick learner says:
How to measure. How much.
Profile picture of Mike
Please go to Swisco's Series 850 Block and Tackle Rod Balance section to get started.
A quick learner from Charlotte, NC area says:
I am also from the Charlotte area looking to use these 850 series.
All of mine are completely shot. The best measurement I can determine for the length is 36.5 and a 1" shoe width.
What is the difference (spring load e.g.) between the white and black shoe.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
It is best to match up to the original balance series, length, and color & size shoe.

36-1/2" Series 850

Black Shoe will carry a window sash weight range of 9 through 25 pounds

White Shoe will carry a window sash weight range of 25 through 32 pounds.

This information is based on two balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weatherstrip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)