SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Series 860 Arrow Balance & shoe

A home owner from Springdale, Arkansas says:
I have two vinyl windows (approx. 36" X 60") that will not stay open because the balance assemblies are broken. Your 860 Series Arrow Balance (S860-28) look identical to what I have, but I want to make sure before purchasing. I measured my existing assembly according to your diagrams, and it is closest to your 28 inch model. They have the black plastic caps. I also measured the shoe, and it is 1-1/4". Does the assembly include the springs? Also, how are these installed - do you have step-by-step instructions? Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! If you wish to make certain that you are ordering the correct balance, you may submit a few pictures here in the thread so that we can identify what you will need. If you do, please make sure to include pictures of either balance attachment, as well as any stamps or markings on the metal channel.

As for installation, please refer to the following tutorial video, which explains how to replace your channel balance.
I am including pictures of my broken balance assembly parts. As far as the stamp on the metal channel...it is very faint, but I think is reads "ADW 1 AL 2-98" - I don't have a picture.

Regarding the instructional video you posted, this is not even remotely close to the assembly that I have. Again, mine is like your S860-28.
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
A customer submitted photo of a channel balance bottom attachment.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for the detailed pictures! It does appear that S860-28 would be the best match for your hardware.

I apologize for the confusion concerning installation, I erroneously thought you had a channel balance. We do not currently have a video tutorial on how to install an Arrow Balance, however we will begin filming one very soon and should have it on our site in the near future.
No problem. I swapped a set from another window, and they were easy to install. I do have another question. The springs on your photos of the S860-28 look much shorter than my springs. Will they work on a 16 LB sash?
Profile picture of Tom
When determining what weight your Arrow Balance can support, the main thing to focus on is the cap attached to the end of the balance.

28" Series 860

For sashes weighing 7 to 21 pounds, we recommend the black cap, which your original hardware appears to have.

White caps are suggested for sashes weighing 21 to 26 pounds.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Final question...Do the balances come assembled with all the parts seen in your S860-28 product photo, including the shoes if purchased also?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the Series 860 Balance comes assembled as shown in this picture:

A home owner from Tennessee says:
I am having the same kind of experience that the gentleman above is having. I believe that the 860 Arrow Balance is what I will need to repair my windows, but am looking for confirmation. The legnth of the balance is just over 27", the shoe is 1 1/4" and the cap is black. Please let me know if you think this will be the correct product for my repairs. Thanks.
A customer submitted photo of an arrow balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! It appears that our S860-28 would be the closest match to your balance that we have, however I would double check your length just to make sure.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)