SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Series 900 Spiral Balance

A handy person from Haines City, FL says:
Home Built in 2002 with Milco double pins, tilt windows. Have two large windows 51" wide & 32" high. Weight is 34-36 pounds each. Tube is 3/8" and 30" long. Can't tell color of tip. I have adjusting tool. Would need 4 tubes for the proper weight windows.

Do you have new Pivot Lock Shoes see attached Photo. How do you change the Pivot Lock Shoes in the track?

Need Quote if you can help.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Doug. Can you confirm the diameter of your balance tube? 36 pounds is very heavy for a skinny Series 900 balance and I don't think we will be able to make one strong enough to support that weight. I would double check just to make sure the diameter of the tube isn't 5/8" (or 9/16", which is considered 5/8" in the trade).

As for the pivot shoe, I'm not sure what you have. I'm afraid your pictures didn't come through. Can you try uploading them again? Can you also give me its thickness and width? We will need those dimensions in order to find a replacement. Check out the video below to see how you can remove it from the jamb.
A handy person from Haines City. FL says:

Reply to your verify measurements.

Tubes is 3/8", the channel in the window is 1/2" where the tube goes. 5/8" tube won't fit.
Is there another 3/8" tube series for this weight?

I don't see a shoe like mine. Let's forget about replacing shoes.

Profile picture of Tom
We could possibly custom make a 3/8" tilt window spiral balance to support your sash weight, but the maximum amount of weight these two custom 3/8" diameter 30" spiral balances can support is 34 pounds. Can you confirm the weight of your sash? Please make sure your weight is as exact as possible. A difference of just a single pound could make all the difference.
A handy person from Haines City, FL says:
Thanks Tom, Weight is 34 pounds.

Please make 4 - 3/8" tubes, 30" long, 34 pounds for our windows.

How do to proceed order these and mail them out.
Profile picture of Tom
Great. Check out this Custom Spiral Balance Order Form that I have started for you. This is a 30" Series 900 spiral balance with a Yellow Tip. Two of these balances with that color tip can carry a window sash weight of 24 through 34 pounds.

Once you fill out the rest of the information, one of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)