SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Series ID Help. Balance and Top/Bottom Guides

A home owner from Fort Lauderdale, FL says:
I'm needing to replace two (2) channel balances w/ top/bottom guides however, I cannot determine which ones I need based on the pictures or item numbers listed. I'm looking to replace a rolled-edge channel guide; 30 inches in length with "293" and "AJ" stamped on it (they are slightly seperated from each other (i.e. not single string of numbers & letters)). I've got pictures for the top and bottom (shoe) guides and the rolled-edge channel balance. I was able to find a top guide but it doesn't have the "wings" like to one I need. Could i stil use the one without the "wings"? What is the purpose of the "wings" (keep top balance center positioned while in during use)? Thanks.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for contacting us.

The wings are there to center the balance, making it easier to install the window sash.

Post your pictures to this discussion. Please be sure to include photos of the balance attachments, as the attachments are what determine the balance Series.
A home owner from Fort Lauderdale, FL says:
Hey Mike. Thanks for the clarification. After the window/balances are installed, does it serve any other purpose? Reason why I ask is that I've seen other guides/shoes that you offer that look like the ones I have but without the wings.

Also, I did send photos as suggested.
User submitted photo of channel balance and attachments
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
It is best to replace to the original style, length, and strength. The balance top appears to be SWISCO product code 19-005 and the balance shoe looks like 15-004 which is our series 385 replacement balance.

Order S385-30 with the option 2930.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)