Should I repair or replace my builder's grade handle?

A home owner from Greeley says:
Our door from the house into the garage (locking) will no longer spring back up so the handle is vertical. The handle is very similar to what you show in stock, as far as I know, the door handle is original to this house built in 2000, we are not the original owners. I assume it is probably a "builder's grade" based on the quality of other materials and craftsmanship in the house. Given this information, would you suggest trying to repair this myself or should I replace the entire handle with all new components? Is this a easy fix or should I contact a handyman, pro or locksmith? My husband cannot/would not be able to do this, but I might be able to. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have!
Thanks much, a Jill-of-all-trades
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what type of lock you have in your garage, however I don't believe lock sets like the 43-005 can be repaired. Normally, once the lock spring is broken you need to replace the complete set. Take a look at our video on replacing this hardware for help on how to do this.
A home owner from Greeley says:
Thank you for sharing your advice concerning the door handle to our garage. You mentioned that the handle I selected, which looks similar to our current handle, is normally used for bedrooms or baths. What handle might be more suitable for my location, a door between the kitchen and garage? Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The 43-005 lock set is normally used for privacy in bath and bedroom doors, but I see no reason why you couldn't use it between your house and garage. Just keep in mind that it's not meant to offer security. You might want to install a regular entrance door lock similar to what might be on the front entrance door in your house. The entry type locks use a normal key like Kwik Set or Schleage to unlock the door.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.