Simington single hung balance assembly

A home owner from Michigan says:
Need information on balance assemblies for Simington Single Hung windows. I have included a couple of photos of the assemblies. The springs are 1/2" wide and there are 2 springs per balance assembly. The lower parts of the assemblies are OK but the springs and upper portion of the assemblies are broken. Also do you carry Jam Spreaders for these assemblies as this would make the job much easier? If you need other photos please let me know. As to numbers on the windows or other identifying information, I don't see them.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I believe your balance system is comprised of the 15-111 pivot shoe, Series 160 coil springs, and 15-150D cover. I don't believe you need the jamb spreaders since Simonton usually has a pre-made cut out in the window track. Check the top of the jamb, it should be located there.
A quick learner says:
It does and they will squeeze out really tightly. Didn't know if the spreader was to make removal and installation easier.
Profile picture of Paul
It could, but if you have a cutout then it should be possible without them, albeit a little more difficult. Ultimately it would be up to you!
A quick learner from Michigan says:
I am going to finally get around to fixing the windows since it is now spring and I want to open the windows. The information above appears to be correct but I don't know how to determine the proper weight springs needed. There are 2 springs per side. How can I determine what weight springs to buy? Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

There should be a stamp printed on the old springs that you can use as a reference. If there isn't, we will need the exact weight of the sash. I'd also like you to confirm how many springs are used on each side.

A quick learner from Brooklyn, Mi says:

I ordered the parts as suggested above. I received them yesterday. I am not sure that the springs will work. As to the other parts, I am still not sure. It looks like a window frame spreader might be needed. It appears to be very difficult to put in the 15-150D covers into the frame without breaking them. Initially I need to know if the springs will work before trying to install them.

1. The springs that I received are listed as #5.5; 35". The old ones are #5.5: 39". Will these work? Want to know before I try to install them.

Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you.

Profile picture of Paul

The manufacturer shortened the spring lengths from 39" to 35". I don't know why they did that but I believe our length should work fine. Where is the location of the spring housings on the window track? I'm surprised you need a jamb spreader for a Simonton window, in my experience the cutout is usually sufficient to replace this hardware. Could you possible make the cutout a little larger? See the video below.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.