SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Simonton 2626631/02

A home owner from Winchester, VA says:
Hello - I need a replacement part. I don't know what it's called. It is that piece about 5 inches long that's inside the groove of the frame. It has 2 screws in it. Inside there are 2 round metal things, kind of like springs. The plastic on the outside has broken on 2 of my windows, and every time I open the window, it catches and breaks that little piece some more.
Gail
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The part you're looking for is known as a coil balance. I'm not sure if the cover is broken or the springs themselves. First, just to familiarize yourself with the hardware, I recommend watching the video below. That way we can be on the same page. The coil balance featured in this video might be different from yours but the principles area the same.

Next, please raise the sash a couple inches, tilt it in, and then remove it. Once it's removed, show us a picture of the pivot shoe to which the coil springs attach. That will allow us to identify what you need.
A quick learner from Winchester, VA says:
Thank you. You guys are amazing. That is exactly the part that is broken. It may take a few days before I can get you the photos you requested because it's a rental home that I own and I will need to schedule a time with the renters when I can go over to take pictures. I am anxious to get this little project finished, so please understand any delay. Thanks for your patience.
Profile picture of Tom
That's no issue at all. We are always here to help whenever you're ready.
A quick learner from Winchester, VA says:
Here is a picture, sorry it's a little blurry. This is with the plastic cover off.

Are we any closer to identifying it now?
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! I'm afraid we're still not sure what you need. Your new picture is still of the cover, it just appears that this one is broken.

The pivot shoe that we need to see should be a square or rectangular piece below the cover. The springs actually attach to it with screws. Once I see that I am confident I can recommend a match.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)