SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Simonton Window balances

A home owner from USA says:
Simonton customer service suggested you could help me find the correct window balances. I've attached pictures of each window sticker of the windows I'm having problems with.

Could you please advise the balances I need to fix these windows and cost?
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry, but the stickers do not tell us what balances you have. I need to see pictures of the balances themselves removed from the window. Specifically, I need to see both ends of the balance, the stamp, the shoe, and whatever is attached to the end of the cord. Thanks!
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the reply. Attached are pictures of the balances, hopefully this is everything you need - as you can tell these are in quite bad shape. I don't see anything resembling a cord in the window.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you!
-Erika
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! I was mistaken, looks like you have a coil balance. Specifically, the shoe looks like our 15-111, which means I would also recommend our Series 160 coil spring. Check them out and let me know if you agree.
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

I looked closer at the coils and they are stamped with number 070194. Can you tell from this which weight of coil balance I need?

Thank you!
-Erika
Profile picture of Tom
I'm afraid that number doesn't match anything for our Series 160 spring. It would only be a three digit number, at most, but in your case very likely only a two digit number. What is the weight of your sash and how many coils are used for each side? I can make a suggestion wit that information.
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The window sash is approximately 20 pounds with a total of 4 coils - two on each side.

Please let me know if any other information is helpful to find the correct spring balance.

Thank you!
-Erika
Profile picture of Tom
That's perfect. I would recommend the 5.5 lb option, since you use four springs on each side.
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply! Is it safe to assume that the "related items" that show up when I click on the 5.5lb Series 160 Coil Balance parts will fit my window (pic attached)? I just cleaned all the windows and I think I'll need a whole mess of things to get things working properly again!

Thanks,
-Erika
Profile picture of Tom
There's a good chance the related hardware for the S160-5 match what you have, but I wouldn't assume out of hand. It's always a good idea to double check our pictures and dimensions to confirm that they match what you have now, just in case. This is an old industry and you'd be surprised how many weird parts crop up every now and then that you'd never think could work with what you have.
A quick learner from WI says:
Hi, I've tried to reactivate this thread a few times... so I'll try again. I need to order other parts for other windows in my house. Could you please advise if the attached pieces will work?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
I honestly cannot say. Are these windows different than what you showed above? If so, I will need pictures of that hardware in order to identify the proper matches.
A quick learner from WI says:
Hi Tom,

All the windows are the same - some smaller sizes from what we previously discussed, but my lack of window knowledge would tell me the hardware is all the same mechanics?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If the windows are the same then the same hardware is likely used, however if the windows are smaller then the coil springs may require a different strength.
A quick learner says:
Hi Paul, Appreciate the reply. Would there be any harm in ordering a coil for a larger window and using it in a smaller window? I'm just trying to order a bunch of different parts - so come spring I can fix everything that is broken?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You should be careful about that. It is possible for a spring to be too strong. If it is, the window likely won't function properly. You'll see it doing things like drifting up after its been closed, or you perhaps won't even be able to close it at all.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)