Simonton windows channal balances

A home owner from San Ramon says:
Hi,
Please help me to identify my broken channel balances. There are only some ink printed characters on the metal that reads "29 9 38# KO CALDWELL". There is no other identification on the channel balance.

Enclosed please find the top and bottom brackets.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Tim
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Before I can confirm what Series channel balance you have, I'll have to know a bit more information.

First, let's figure out what your bottom shoe is. Please look at the measurements for our 15-001 and 15-002 bottom shoes and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-1/8" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which measurement more closely resembles your own shoe?

Please also tell me the length of the metal channel. Do not include the plastic attachments in this measurement.

Finally, I'd like you to confirm the weight of your window sash since your stamp, "29 9," does not correspond to any of our available options. The "38#" makes me think that your sash might be 38 pounds, but I would like you to confirm, just in case. You can determine your sash weight by removing the sash from the window and placing it on a scale.
I did some measurements, it looks like I need a 19-0002 top, and a 15-0001 shoe.

And the metal channel is 30" without the top nor the shoe.

I took the window off and weighted it, it is ~24 lb only. Don't know what the #38 in the marking means.

Does the channel balance come assembled with the top and shoe, or I have to buy the rivet to do it myself?

Thx.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us! Our balances come with the attachments already installed.

With the 15-001 and 19-002 attachments, it appears that you have our Series 390 channel balance. Please see our S390-30.

For the stamp option, I'd choose our 2940 option. This can carry a sash weight range of 23 through 28 pounds.

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Thanks Tom, what if I still assume the #38 means 38 lbs rating. What option should that be?

And what is the consequences if I choose to use a pair of channel balances with higher rating?

Tim
Profile picture of Tom
If the weight of your sash is approximately 24 pounds, then I wouldn't worry about that #38. It is likely just a manufacturing mark at the end of the stamp.

If a balance has too high a rating, then then window would be very hard to open. Like I said, though, the 2940 stamp is perfect for a window sash of 24 pounds.
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.