SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Single Hung Windows Wont Stay Open

A quick learner from San Antonio says:
Hello,

My house is approximately 15-20 years old. I have about 4-5 windows varying sizes that will not stay open. They have gradually gotten worse over time. As of now if you open the windows that do not work they either slam down or work their way down very quickly.

I have attached 4 images to show the window type.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Rich. It sounds like a problem with your window balances. Based on your images, I'd say you have spiral balances, though I don't know if your window is tilt or non-tilt.

Now, are your windows as old as your house, or were they replaced not long ago? If they aren't that old, you may need to simply charge them. Take a look at our handy tutorial guides on how to adjust your spiral balances for tilt and non-tilt windows, respective to what type of window you have.
A quick learner says:
They are not tilt in they are single sash just normal windows.

They are the original windows.

I removed one of the tubes and at the bottom the aluminum casing seems to be separating. And the spiral does not move very fluidly at all, for about a year before they stop operating they were very noisy.

I guess i should replace them both in each window that has issues?
Profile picture of Tom
In that case, yes. It may be best to replace the spiral balances entirely.

Do you know what Series you have? Take a look at our Non-Tilt Spiral Balance Home Page and follow the steps. Let me know what you come up with!
A quick learner says:
Attached is a picture of the balance suggestions?
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us! This picture is a big help, but I'm afraid we still don't know enough. For instance, I can see now that your balance has something like our 15-142 shoe, but I am not sure what Series it is. Were you able to identify your Series from the link I sent you? Let me know!
A quick learner says:
I have followed your guide and it says

18" Series 306 Spiral Balance
Product Code: S306-18

But as you can see in the image the hook is not exactly right ??

And the hook seems to be turned 90 degrees away from the hole in the bottom.

Suggestions?
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. It looks like you'll have to have a Series 306 spiral balance made custom with the 15-142 shoe.

I'd be happy to whip up a form for you to fill out, however before I do I just need to know one last thing. What is the weight of your window sash? That will help us determine what strength Series 306 you will need. Let me know!
How do i determine the weight?
Profile picture of Tom
You can remove the sash from the window and place it on a scale.
Tom

as you can see in the pictures at the top the sash is in a enclosed track, looks to be made of aluminum. I cant seem to find a way to remove without bending one of the aluminum side walls outwards and then removing.

Is this the correct procedure?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. I think you're correct. That sounds like the only way it could come out. The only other way I could determine what kind of color bearing you need is if one of your existing balances still has its color bearing intact. That would at least give me some clue of what weight sash you have.
I will look have one of the balances in front of me, where to look?

Also in order for me to remove the old balances, i had to basically bend them and remove from the bottom, with the window all the way up.

I don't know how I will put the new ones in.
Profile picture of Paul
You will have to drop the sash all the way down, then slide the balance in as best as you can from the top. Once the top is screwed in, lift the sash up and have someone hold it while you attach the bottom bracket.
I have taken the spiral balance apart. there are no colors or even a "tip" like the ones in your pictures.

I have taken a luggage scale (has handle and strap) and connected it to the sash and lifted the sash. After several readings the weight of the sash keeps coming out 5.1-5.1pds. Its a bathroom window so quite small.
Profile picture of Paul
I'm still not sure. Is the sash single-pane? If so, then I think it's best just to go with a Red Tip.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)