SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Single hung vinyl windows

A quick learner from Pleasanton says:
Hi, I've got some pretty basic single hung vinyl windows that are about 14 years old. They do not come with a sash lift on the bottom of the sash to help pull down the window after opening. This is becoming more of an issue as a lot of windows are really tough to bring down now. I've tried removing the window channel balance and lubing the pulleys. Although this helps, its not as much as I thought it would. Do you think they need to be replaced? Has the design of the pulley inside the channel balance improved to make it easier to pull down a window? Also, are there any aftermarket sash handles that can be mounted to the bottom of sash to help close a window?
Thank you
Mike
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Mike. It definitely sounds like you should consider new balances. Over the years, time and consistent use puts a strain on the springs and pulleys, making them harder to operator. Lubricating them was a good idea, but since that didn't yield any results your next best option is to replace t hem entirely.

As for the handles, we carry a couple different kinds that just screw right to the face of the sash. See our 26-116 and 26-174, along with a screw like our 33-080. When drilling holes, it's vital to make sure you don't hit the glass.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)