SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Single hung window, hard to open, right balance sticks in 'up' position

A home owner from Aliso Viejo, CA says:
I just acquired a house built in the late 90's, and have a window on the front of the house (single hung) with a pair of spring balances. The window is very difficult to open, and when I do get it open, the right balance sticks in the 'up' or open position. While they don't look broken, I'd like to find the right replacement parts to install two balances on that window.

The markings on them are "27 3 HN CALDWELL". The channel containing the spring is 1/2" wide. They are 29" end to end, and 9/16ths inches wide and deep.

Please help me determine which is the right part to order.

Thanks!
Gordon
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Gordon. It's difficult for me to identify your balance since I cannot see the top and bottom nylon fittings. Those two pieces determine what your Series is. As it is, I can recommend a 28" block & tackle balance with a stamp option of 2730. I recommend that you look at our Channel Balance Home Page and follow the steps in order to find the Series that best matches what you have.
A home owner from Aliso Viejo, CA says:
Thanks Paul. It's odd that the web site link in the home page menu titled "Identify your Part" doesn't take me to the link you provided, it's very helpful!

Anyway, an update: the channel itself is 28" long. I've attached photos of the ends. I'm thinking a pair of Series 380, 19-005 Top, 15-005 Shoe? Also, it's not clear to me what Sash weight range to select? I do know the window is pretty hard to open now, so perhaps it needs a stronger balance? The sash weighs approximately 24 lbs.

Thanks again
Gordon
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. Can you double check the size of the bottom shoe? Visually, it looks more like our 15-004, which would make this the Series 385 channel balance. When measuring your shoe depth, make sure to account for wear.

We have a chart on the S380-28 and S385-28 store pages that lists each option and how much weight they can support. Whether your old balances were weak or not, the best thing to do is match your weight with that chart.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)