SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding Door Track and Roller Replacement

A quick learner from Connecticut says:
The sliding glass doors to my patio have gotten so clogged that the door will no longer slide at all. I believe I need to replace the track and the rollers on the doors. I am hoping to avoid replacing the whole thing as I just had new glass put into the doors 2 years ago. The problem is there is no marking as to manufacturer and I think the tracks have probably been there for 40 years. I saw some of the help you guys were giving in your wonderful discussions section and I thought maybe you could advise me. I included a picture of the sticker on the side of the door which has some information about the doors.
Thanks so much
User submitted a photo of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sure, I'd be happy to help. Unfortunately, the company that made your door was American Aluminum Window Corporation in Malden, MA. They are no longer in business. I will need to see pictures of your track and rollers in order to identify them. I will also need detailed dimensions of each. Thanks!
A quick learner from Connecticut says:
I included some pictures of the track, which has two sides for two doors. The track is 8 feet long with two 4 foot doors on it. Each individual door track is 1 1/2 inch wide and the whole thing which includes both is 5 1/4 inch wide. It is only the rear door which we use to slide. Unfortunately I can't get to the rollers without taking off the doors which I am hesitant to do. Would pictures of the doors maybe give any insight into which rollers would work?
Thanks again
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. You may be able to use our 80-105 or 80-106 as a replacement track (depending on length), but it may require some retrofitting to work. I'm afraid we cannot identify the rollers just by seeing the door. The only way we can know for sure is to see them removed. We will also need detailed dimensions. In the meantime, you can browse through our sliding glass door section and see if you can find something here that matches.
A professional from California says:
I don't see anything about the track that would cause problems. Of course I can't see all of it. If the bead is at least 1/4" tall, a cap may help. You may be able to get away with just cleaning out the gunk and sanding the roughness off of the bead. I use a sanding block that is spongy and adapts to the contours. www.thepatiodoorguy.com
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)