SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding door handle

A quick learner from Portland, ME says:
Dear Swisco Staff,

I am trying to replace the handles on a sliding glass door that was likely installed when my aunt built a chalet in 1969. The standard handles for today's doors do not fit. I went to Home Depot and got a consultation from them to order handles. They found what they thought were the correct handles on your site. We ordered item #82-016.

My contractor finally attempted to install them last week.. and they DO NOT FIT! ARRRGH! I called and spoke to Judy..and a supervisor has okayed an exchange for the value of the handles (excluding shipping). Thank you! :0)

So, I am hoping that someone from your staff will be able to help me find the right ones. As you can see from the pictures, the handles look like the ones that I ordered from you folks.. but they are not quite right.
Thank you in advance for your help.

User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, John, thanks for posting. Before we recommend a replacement handle set, can you first tell me the distance between the screw holes, center-to-center? Do they match the 82-016, which has a hole center spacing of 3-1/2"?
A quick learner from Portland, ME says:
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your note.

Yes, the 3 1/2 inch distance was fine. My handyman said that the handle that I purchased from you folks mounts to the outside of the door... but the one that was on it originally mounts inside the door... so you don't see it. Does this make sense? He said that the handle that I purchased would work if it had a 1/8 or 3/16 spacer.

I really appreciate your help with this!

A professional from California says:
Isn't that a 82-003 with a little different look?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I agree, I think it looks a lot like the 82-003. Just by eyeballing your picture, the hole center spacing appears longer than 3-1/2". I would double check your dimensions just in case.

If you're positive that it's 3-1/2", then you might want to check out our 82-055. This might work, though you would likely have to use the old guts, especially if the door is thicker than what the 82-055 is meant to accommodate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)