SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding door replacement parts

A home owner from Akron Ohio says:
My acorndorwall sliding doors no longer latch. Can you help me select the correct replacement parts to fix?
User submitted photo of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... I'm trying to figure out if your inside latch is broken or just stuck. I recommend that you unscrew the handle to check that out.

Otherwise, we do carry the original Acorn lock, our 82-055. If you are just looking for the inside latch alone, see our 82-248 instead. This is is 2" long for a standard thickness patio door. You might have the wider thermal brake door, though, in which case our inside latch won't be long enough. I'm afraid that the latches for thicker doors is no longer available.
A professional from California says:
I am suspicious that you may only need the spring.
All of this style of lock probably use the same spring and could be swapped with your broken or missing one. Sometimes the spring just becomes dislodged. Paul, do you know if the springs are interchangeable?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
That's a good point to consider. This type locks are a very simple design. There is a flat spring inside of the locking handle that keeps the internal hook in place. The spring could have possibly dislodged in the handle.

One thing to try is removing the handle from the door and looking to see if the spring is dislodged. If not, a complete locking handle set may be necessary.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)