SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding door rollers

A home owner from Weston, FL says:
A service came to my house to provide an estimate which came out to almost as much as my car payment. I was amazed! Ironically he suggested that I take a photo of the three options. One has a stamp on it. He told me the two on the right are sealed bearings and should last much longer than the one on the left. I can't imagine this being too hard to replace. Would you please let me know if you stock these and what the cost will be including shipping to FL?
Hit enter without adding the photo. It is now attached.
User submitted a photo of patio door rollers.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think we may be able to help you, yes. Check out our 81-153 Tandem Sliding Glass Door Roller. If you have your old rollers handy, I recommend comparing the dimensions we show to your hardware to see how well they match. The pricing for this roller can be found on its individual page, and shipping is calculated during check out (but before order finalization, in case you need to make any changes). See our Shipping Policy for more information.

They are not too difficult to install at all, but do require a bit of handy work. Check out our general guide below for some advice on how you can go about doing this. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to help!
Is that a sealed bearing roller and is a non-rust type metal? The technician that came to my house said that I needed a cap on the slide rail that attaches and get crimped directly onto the existing rail. Do you sell that and if not can you suggest something that I can get?
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
I can look into a stainless steel version for you, but I'm not sure what that cap could be. Are you able to take a few pictures of it for us to see?
The door has a slight bounce to it and I was told that is a result of damage to the rail that door slides on. I looked at it pretty carefully and don't really see any damage but I've attached a picture for you to see and make suggestions on obtaining a replacement rail or a cap as they call it.
A customer submitted image of their door track.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Yes, if there is a bounce to the door's operation then a track cover is recommended. Check out either our 6' long 80-102 or 8' long 80-103. Be sure to also see the video below to see how to install this hardware.
A professional from California says:
If there is a slight ripple, it won't matter much, but if the track is loose, it will rattle very annoyingly.
A quick learner from Los Angeles, CA says:
I saw this and wanted to include an alternate view. Our door's wheels have corroded from years of chlorine water sprayed on them from our Polaris pool cleaner. One was frozen in place (the wheel itself is nylon)and was dragging, but I got them both turning freely using penetrating oil. Over time, we had worn a flat into the wheel. As a consequence, whenever I open or close the door, it "ripples" (bounces) owing to this flat spot. I've improved on this a bit by taking a small hobby file to the wheel to make it round(er). I've felt the track, and it does not seem to have any dips or low spots. I believe the bouncing is caused by the flat spot on the wheel running over an otherwise good rail. His photo is from a vertical viewpoint (looking down on it); what he needed to send you was a close-up photo taken sideways (elevation), which would have revealed any actual wear/low spots. The homeowner should remove his door and inspect the roller wheels for flat spots and ease of turning; that may be where his real problem lies.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)