Sliding door track damage

A home owner from Michigan says:
I have an older sliding door unknown Mfgr with damaged track. The dimensions on the broken rail are approximately 11/16" tall and 1/4" wide (if compressed).
Do you think the 6' sliding door track cover will work for this application?

Darell
User submitted photo of their damaged sliding door track.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I do not believe the 80-103 would be strong enough with out some under support. Possibly some epoxy to fill the void. Take a look at the 80-100, it is a heavier track, but also taller. Check to see if you have the clearance, match it up to your existing track. You could also use the 80-105 replacement track rail.
A home owner from O'Fallon IL says:
My Track has worn down and bent.It's almost 40 years old.

The door is approximately 8ft. 80-100 looks like the track I have.

How does it fit over the other track and slip down in the groove? How do you get it on without forcing it over.
Profile picture of Dave
The track cover is just that, a cover. It should go on top of the existing track. If your track is too wide, then you might have to file down the sides of your track so the cover will fit.

However, I have never had to file any existing tracks down in all the years I've installed this type of cover, the 80-100 Track Cover.

To secure the cover, us two of the 33-071 Pan Head Screws (#6 x 3/8). Install one on each end a few inches from the jamb. You don't want to interfere with the roller on the patio door. You will need a 7/64" drill bit and be sure to use an oil-based lubricant. The strainless steel track is harder to drill through.
A home owner from Yuma, Arizona says:
The track on my sliding patio door is about 1/2" high and 5/16" wide. Due to the condition of the track I do not believe that 80-103 will work. I like the design of 80-100 but from the photo it does not look like it will fit over my track snugly because the upper portion looks to be mush less than 5/16", perhaps you could clarify for me.

Thank you,

Joe Tinney
Profile picture of Dave
I also like the 80-100; I believe it is a stronger track cover. You could file down the track if need be so that it will fit over the bad spots. Check your height to make sure you have the clearance to set your door back in place once it is installed.
A home owner from O'fallon IL says:
I finally ordered the 80-100 for my door. I look forward to getting my door back in working order.

I noticed on another vendors web site they recommended using an epoxy to hold the cover on. You recommended the pan head screws. If I use the screws do I just drill in from the top? I can see where it won't interfere with the rollers but what about the door?
Profile picture of Dave
Good question. Please take a look at our tutorial video on how to install your sliding glass door track, which shows where you should drill.

Did this answer your question?
Reply to Thread
* Mandatory fields
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
33-071 : #6 x 3/8 SS Pan Head Screw
33-071
Price: $0.15
#6 x 3/8 SS Pan Head Screw
80-100 : 8' Sliding Door Track Cover, Large
80-100
Price: $28.45
8' Sliding Door Track Cover, Large
80-103 : 8' Sliding Door Track Cover, Small
80-103
Price: $13.45
8' Sliding Door Track Cover, Small
80-105 : 8' Sliding Glass Door Track
80-105
Price: $24.75
8' Sliding Glass Door Track
How to install a sliding glass door track cover
Video
How to install a sliding glass door trac...
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
Video
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Doo...
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
Guide
How to replace a sliding glass door roll...
How to maintain a sliding glass door
Guide
How to maintain a sliding glass door