SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding door track prep

A home owner from Tampa, FL says:
What do I have to do to prep the old track to use the 80-105 track replacement? Do I need to cut the old Ridge out or what? If this is laid next to it, would it not displace the door and affect it's ability to seal?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
First off, if your old track is not too bad try one of the patio door track covers SWISCO carries. If your track is in too bad of shape, you might need to use the 80-105 replacement sliding glass door track. To install the 80-105 replacement track you will have to remove your existing track to place the new track on the same location so your door will operate properly. You might want to get a contractor to install it if you are not too sure on the installation. One way of removing the old track might be to cut it off the with a sharp chisel, because it might be too hard to get a saw in there.
A home owner from Exeter, Ca says:
I need a track or frame for a sliding patio door. I have the two doors. One is stationary, the other slides.I am building my own patio enclosure and I want to install these. I do not have an existing frame but I think I can do the frame in wood if I have the track. what do you think?
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
SWISCO deals mainly with repair projects and not new applications so I do not have much advice on this project but I do not see why it would not work.
A home owner from Alameda, CA says:
I have 3 sliding glass closet doors on 2 parallel tracks (rails) 9ft. long. The track is worn through and the tracks also very worn. Would track covers be a suitable repair or do I have to replace the whole track? Thanks, KR
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately without seeing your track, I could not say a track cover would work. If you would like, reply with a picture of your worn track and I will make a suggestion based upon the picture. Note: the longest track cover available at SWISCO.com is 8' and it would take two track covers to cover the whole length of your track.
A home owner from Marco Island, FL. says:
Great Website! MY main concerns regard #1: SWISCO's directive for EXACT roller replacement (my condo was built in 1982) #2: Suggestions for replacement "concrete" and H2O-proofing compound. The "total" renovation that the 2nd owner did (56 days from Sheriff's sale to MLS listing) did NOT even include leveling (O.K.) or sloping the pitch of the lanai floor AWAY from the building (better) prior to tiling it! As rain intensity in SWFLA can reach up to 6"/hour it doesn't take much water or wind to create leakage. The lip of the slider track is only @ 1" above the surface of the tile floor. Thank You in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Have you tried to match up your roller to product pictures of the sliding door rollers on SWISCO's Web site?

You have a problem, the exterior should have been tilted away from the house. Now remember we did have severe rain storms this year (I also had some water damage from an upper floor deck). There are two fixes you can do, one would be to possibly see if you can tilt the exterior away from the house. I know down the shore area that they cut the supports so the upper decks tilt away from the house. Another fix would be to raise the patio door up a few inches. However, raising the patio door up can cause a problem with the header of the door, which would also have to be raised.
A home owner from Castro Valley, CA says:
Would a patio door track cover fit over a worn track that is not straight? My track has been hit so many times from the side that it does not look straight from the top. The door slides o.k. until it gets to the area where it's not straight and requires muscle to push it through. It would seem like the new track cover would also not be straight if it just covered the old track.

Also, if I have to use a replacement track can I just replace the sliding track starting where the stationary door ends? I have a sliding glass patio door that goes behind a stationary glass patio door. It seems to slide O.K. behind the stationary door so maybe I could just cut off the old track next to the stationary door and add the replacement track. Do you think it would line up with the old track?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
If you're confident the heights will match, there should be no problem with installing a door track cover on a contorted track.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)