SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding glass door. Removing stationary door

A handy person from Stockton CA says:
Watched your YouTube video on replacing rollers on sliding glass door but the piece on the threshold that holds the the stationary door in place seems to be one piece all around the sliding side. How do I deal with this? Thank you
User submitted a photo of a patio door track.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Check to see if the door is held in with clips at the back end. It's possible that the door was not built to be removed.
A professional from California says:
I don't know about the east coast, but I've replaced at least a hundred vinyl door rollers and I've never removed the stationary panel. The frame is the same height inside and out, so it would make zero difference. Make sure the rollers are all the way up. If they are rusted and won't move, rock the door gently from one roller to the other. Don't be rough about it. You don't want to dent the stainless rail. It can take some effort. I have run into a couple that had sagging headers that did not allow the door to be removed, but that is rare.
A professional from California says:
You might get better results if one person lifts the door and another lifts the two rollers on each side to get them both over the lip. A wide putty knife can help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)