Sliding glass door lock

A quick learner says:
The one I see pictured on your web site appears to be smaller than mine, do you have this one?
User submitted a photo of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Your latch is an older, longer version of the 82-217A which is no longer made anymore. You will need to replace your complete handle set. My suggestion would be to use the 82-005 surface mounted handle. See what you think.
A home owner from 21237 says:

could someone please re-check to see if the LONGER VERSION OF 82-217A is available anywhere,,,, i have also attached a photo of what i am looking for,,,,,, also, since the 82-217A is shorter than what i am looking for, i think i could modify it so that i could get it to mount in the door handle,,,, BUT DO YOU THINK THAT THE LATCH ITSELF will work the same as my older part that i am looking for?,,, i look forward to hearing back from you if my original part is available or if i can modify the 82-217A to make the mounting longer, WILL THE LATCH ITSELF WORK LIKE MY OLD PART,,,, let me know,,,,, thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PATIO DOOR LATCH.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, the longer version of this latch is still discontinued and not something that we can supply. I don't think the 82-217A will fit in the old handle, but if you think you can retrofit it to work then it may be worth considering. They function the same way, it's just a matter of size.

Ultimately though I think you'd be better off getting a new handle set, specifically our 82-005.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.