SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding glass door lock repair

A handy person from Cornelius, NC says:
Looks like my door uses the 82-218 mortise lock and the 82-237 1" lever. The plastic piece on the lever broke, and the lock is a little worn. Rather than replace just the lock and lever, I would like to upgrade to a key locking handle. Which one would work with the mortised lock hole that fits the 82-218? And do you carry one that accepts a standard Kwikset key so I could use one key for all of my doors? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! There are more than a few keyed handles that can work with the 82-218. In order to know what would be best for your door, I would have to know what handle set you currently have. Please take a few pictures of your existing handle set for me to look at, and I can recommend the best keyed option.
A handy person says:
Here are photos of both sides of the interior handle, the exterior handle, and the door where the interior handle mounts. I was going to just replace the lever and the plastic piece which is broken, but the lock is working erratically, locks sometimes, sticks and doesn't lock other times. Also, the finish on the handle is worn and unsightly, and I would like to be able to lock this door from the outside.
User submitted photos of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Tom
Great, these pictures are perfect! For a keyed outside pull, I think you might be interested in our 82-306. As for the inside pull, if you decide to replace that, you could consider our 82-033 Patio Glass Door Handle Set. Let me know what you think.
A handy person says:
Lookslike the 82-306 will work perfect. The 82-033 appears to be a set with both indoor and outdoor (non-locking) pulls. Is just the indoor pull available by itself, or as a set with the 82-306 locking outdoor pull? If not, I may just buy the outdoor locking pull and paint my old indoor pull.

ALso, I will be replacing th emortise lock and the lever. The plastic piece on th eold lever broke, so when I took the lock apart, I was unable to see exactly hjow the plastic piece was installed or functions. Will this be obvious when I receive the new parts? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
The individual components of our 82-033 aren't available separately, but you could either punch out or drill a hole in the 82-033 outside pull and then use our 82-310 to convert it.

As for the round plastic piece, it should just slip right on. It's just a grommet that fits snug in the hole to keep the lever centered when turning.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)